YPbug: subnets are not resolved

Toerless Eckert fauern!informatik.uni-erlangen.de!eckert at decwrl.dec.com
Fri May 12 03:55:17 AEST 1989

I have a problem with the yellow pages on our sequent and all Suns. The
yellow pages fail to resolve subnets.  We are running a class B-Net with a
subnet mask of 8 bits, which should be the standard configuration. Even
programs like netstat understand this.

"/etc/networks" contains names for all our subnets. If i am stopping the
yellow pages, and doing a "netstat -r", the output is correct, with all
subnets displayed symbolically. When running yp, the subnet routes are
only displayed numerically. The effect is the same for other programs that
try to resolve networks using "getnetbyaddr".  This problems exists only
when contactiong to the ypservs on the sequent, or the sun.

If i use "ypset" on the sun to set the yp server to a uVax or HP9000/3xx,
it works again. So there can be no problem with the contents of my
yp-database, because the uVax and HP's get their yp-database via ypxfer
from my sun.

Obviously there is a bug somewhere in ypserv or the resolver routines in
libc. I am running SunOS 4.0 and Dynix 3.0.12 (which seems to have rpc
from sun without any modifications).

Has anyone else experienced the same problems ?
(maybe this is one of the problems fixed in 4.0.1 ??)
				Toerless Eckert
				(eckert at immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)