f77 and dynamic memory? + responses to previous questions

Jonathan Eisenhamer jon at astro.ucla.edu
Sat May 6 14:16:41 AEST 1989

To All Spots,

A basic question: Is it possible to use dynamic memory with fortran
programs compiled with SunOS 3.5 f77(1)?  There doesn't appear to be
fortran versions of alloc/free and no mechanism in fortran to allow the
use of pointers.

Now for some catching up on old stuff:  A while ago, I asked about
unqualified accounting errors without any explanation using Transcript
2.0.  There were two errors, accounting error 2 and accounting error 3.
No one seems to know about the error 2, but error 3 indicates that the
start and stop pages returned from the Laserwriter were inconsistent (i.e.
start page # greate then end page #, etc.).  No suggestions about what
would be causing this were given though.

Also, a while ago, I asked about an apparent bug in the system(3f) fortran
call.  The problem is that, under 3.5 f77(1), a call to system(3f) would
result in all opened files being set to the end-of-file.  One person (lost
the address) responded that this is a known bug but did not know whether
there was a fix for it.

			Thank you for your time,
			Jonathan Eisenhamer
			jon at astro.ucla.edu