Diskless 3/60 refuses to boot

Daniel R. Ehrlich ehrlich at shire.cs.psu.edu
Wed May 24 04:14:13 AEST 1989

In order to relieve some congestion problems our computer center recently
split all of their Sun workstations and file severs off onto there own
sub-net.  All that was done was to change from sub-net 128.118.2 to subnet
128.118.58 for all of the workstations in question.  The boot files were
renamed with the new IP addresses in hex and all appears to work fine
except for one diskless 3/60 (named bubba).

Bubba now always stops at the point were one would expect it to be running
rc.boot.  It has printed out the kernel configuration messages and were
the root, swap, and dumps go, but then it just stops.  Dead as a door
nail.  Being adventurous we lugged the other diskless 3/60 (named
buckaroo) over to the bubba's ethernet tap and plugged it in.  Buckaroo
will boot either as itself or masquerading as bubba (by changing
/etc/ethers), so we can eliminate the ethernet from the drop cable out.

We are running out of things to check.  A quick scan of the eeprom
contents from bubba appears to be identical with buckaroo.  If any
one has any idea as to what is going wrong I would appreciate hearing
from you.  Thanks in advance.
--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich at shire.cs.psu.edu> | Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are
The Pennsylvania State University      | my own, and should not be attributed