use of netgroups in /etc/exports under 4.0.1

ekrell at ulysses.att.com ekrell at ulysses.att.com
Wed May 17 06:04:30 AEST 1989

I've been trying to use the netgroup facility in /etc/exports to avoid
repeating the same host names over and over. What I have is a file server
(4/280 running 4.0.1) who is exporting all its file systems to all the
desktops we have.

I tried changing /etc/exports to read

/	-access=foo,...
/usr	-access=foo,...

where "foo" is a netgroup. As soon as I tried "exportfs -a", I got an
"unknown host foo" error message.  Is the man page wrong or am I missing
something?

PS: I propagated the new netgroup YP map before running exportfs.

[[ What does your netgroup file look like?  --wnl ]]