sun - Vax

Jim Pritchett texbell!killer!gtmvax!caleb!jdp at cs.utexas.edu
Thu May 25 11:42:31 AEST 1989

we have recently acquired some Suns (386i, 3, and 4) at work.  However,
our knowledge of Suns and Unix is somewhat limited.  I hope that someone
here can help me.  We have Vax 8800s (VMS) networked with the Suns using
tcp-ip (Wollongong (sp?)) on Ethernet.  I am using command windows on the
Suns to 'rlogin' onto the Vaxes.  However, the command window doesn't act
like a VT-200 (tm) terminal (of course.)  This makes certain things
difficult (e.g. editing with EVE and other screen oriented programs.)  Is
there a VT emulator or something equivalent which would allow Vax programs
designed to use VT screen control commands to work properly in a Sun
window?  It would be very helpful to have this capability.

If you have any helpful suggestions (e.g. trashing the Vaxes is NOT a
helpful suggestion, neither is using a real VT.), please Email to the
address below.  My system does not get this newsgroup.

                                Thank you,
                                Jim Pritchett
                                UUCP:  killer!gtmvax!dms3b1!caleb!jdp