Monitoring physical memory under Sun OS 4.01?

Ron Diaz rdiaz at presto.ig.com
Wed May 3 19:26:36 AEST 1989

I would like to know if anyone has written any tools to monitor physical
memory usage on a Sun 3/280 running Sun OS 4.01.  I would like to find a
way to monitor the OS and verify the actual physical memory in use. The
standard tool, 'vmstat'  provides a real memory "free list" size but what
does this value reflect in relation to physical memory?  Is this memory
available for OS use only (paging etc.) or is this memory up for grabs as
user memory space?  I'm trying to find a way to monitor memory usage to
size the kernel accordingly.   Oh yes, I've talked with Sun software
support but they didn't provide any insights on this matter.   Please send
me replies directly and I'll post the summary.  Thanks in advance,

Ron Diaz        ( rdiaz at presto.ig.com )
IntelliGenetics
700 East El. Camino Real
Mountain View Ca. 94040