Cheap Sparcstations. . .

Mike Smithwick mike at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Tue May 9 13:25:56 AEST 1989

Amidst all of this hoo-haw over the recent Spacestation announcement our
intrepid reporters forgot to mention one detail which I found interesting
: namely the Sparcstation developers deal.

During the presentation, Bill Joy told us (this is from memory, so I'm not
clear on all of the details) that Sun developers could scarf up a color
Sparcstartion 1 with 2-hardrives, the 3 1/2" PC drive, 8 mb memory,
SunPhigs, Sun training (didn't say how much) AND the GX board - all this
for a little less than $10 grand (!) in otherwords, about a 50% discount.

He didn't say if this deal would have all the strings that a normal
Catalyst developer would.

Also, Scott McNealy got off a good one at the beginning, saying something
like "well, I guess most of you know what we'll be showing you today.  It
seems like SUN has leaks second only to EXXON".

mike (wearing his official "Welcome to the new world" T-shirt and
caressing his official Sparcstation athletic bag, now all we need is the
official Bill Joy dress-up doll, and SUN secret decoder ring!)

          *** mike (cerbral GURU, insert M&Ms to restart) smithwick***
"Oh, I'm just a NOP in the instruction set of life, oh, ohhhh, hmmmmm"

[disclaimer : nope, I don't work for NASA, I take full blame for my ideas]