Help with 4.0 upgrade on Sun 3/260

Todd Sandor mitel!sce!cognos!todds at uunet.uu.net
Sun May 7 03:03:34 AEST 1989

gwl at beach.cis.ufl.edu (Gerry Lawrence) writes:
>I've just been (conned) into upgrading to 4.0 on our 3/260.  We've got two
>way through the suninstall forms up until the "Installation" menu item,
>which immediately gives:
>        Bus error: core dumped

You don't mension which terminal type your using for the install, but if
its a '4.) Other', before running suninstall you must

# set noglob
# eval `tset -s vt100`
# unset noglob
# suninstall

Then continue on (go slow, as the typeahead feature doesn't work to good),
this assumes a vt100, if its not, enter the terminal type in vt100 spot.
This is done right after boot the mini-unix (or whatever its called) from
the swap partition.  Don't forget the post install fixes, the 4.0.1 fixes,
their post install fixes, then the itrunc patches, then the security
patches, the yapt5.4 fixes, etc....(the story continues....).  Its a very
good idea to talk to you local Sun support to get them to help you out on
which 4.0.1 patches you should install, the README for it describes some
patches you may not think you need but really do (ie.winlibs,ldcore), and
hopefully they know what they are talking about.  We just upgrades our
environment (12 Servers, with 80+ workstations), and are till having a few
problems that have to be worked out.  My recommendation is that unless
your forced into it (ie. SMD controllers require it,or for software
reasons) don't upgrade to 4.0.1, wait for 4.1.

Todd Sandor             Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 2704     P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated     FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.
uucp: todds at cognos || uunet!mitel!scs!cognos!todds         Ottawa, Ontario
Steady as she goes!                                        CANADA  K1G 3Z4