Help with 4.0 upgrade on Sun 3/260

Jon A. Tankersley apctrc!cra2!zjat02 at uunet.uu.net
Wed May 17 03:59:34 AEST 1989

The problem is not that SunOS 4.x expects a Sun monitor, but rather there
are some beta-test errors still in the 4.0 FCS tapes (Boy was I pissed
when I found them......  Should never have survived Beta testing that
one).

Before going into suninstall do the following
setenv TERM vt100
set noglob
eval `tset -s $TERM`
unset noglob

This will correctly set the environment.

Problem also occurs if you are trying to install software on a
heterogenous server at a later date than the suninstall.

Other problems with 4.0 FCS - top of the head response....  netmask +
doesn't have the hostname field in rc.local.  rc scripts don't handle
setting netmasks on ie1

for gateway systems:
rc.single doesn't have hostname set properly on ifconfig for ie1.
rc.single expects hostname to be host-gw but that fact isn't commented
   ANYWHERE I read.  host-gw must exist in /etc/hosts.

in.named is not run before mount -at nfs.  Can cause problems if the
   hosts requested are not in /etc/hosts but are in the named database.

syslog.conf bug with define(LOGHOST, 1) for loghost systems.
yp problems with named.  (separate patches available).
-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */
tank at apctrc.trc.amoco.com    ..!uunet!apctrc!tank