Multiple swap areas under SunOS 4.0

Graham J Carpenter graham%ee.surrey.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Wed May 24 03:48:00 AEST 1989

>Date:    Mon, 8 May 89 14:22:27 PDT
>From:    ultra!wayne at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Wayne Hathaway)
>Subject: Multiple swap areas under SunOS 4.0?
>
>A simple question (I hope!):  Anybody know how to configure a SunOS 4.0
>client to swap to two different NFS files on DIFFERENT servers?  Assuming
>it can be done at all, that is ...   Thanx much.

We have done this. It's a bit kludgy and there may be a better way we
haven't thought of, so I'd be grateful for some enlightenment if there
is....

We have a diskless 3/60 (Denethor) which is booted from a 3/280S (Gondor)
and takes a standard 16MB swap from that machine. However since we want to
run LISP and don't have much spare disk on Gondor we also take a 40Mb swap
space from a 4/260 (Shadowfax).

Normal SunOS operations take care of the initial swap partition from
Gondor as you'd expect, so it's just a question of getting swapon to pick
up the space from Shadowfax.

The tricky bit is that swapon won't take a filesystem name with a hostname
embedded in it. To get around this we mount the swapfile from Shadowfax
(created with mkfile) onto a local mount point (in our case we call it
/swap) and put an entry into fstab to tell swapon -a to use it.

Part of /etc/fstab on Denethor looks like:

Gondor:/export/root/Denethor / nfs rw,grpid 0 0
Shadowfax-gate:/export/swap/Denethor /swap nfs rw 0 0
/swap swap swap rw 0 0

This seems to do the trick nicely.

Graham Carpenter - graham at ee.surrey.ac.uk
Dept of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5XH.