CDC 9720-1230 experience

ekrell at ulysses.att.com ekrell at ulysses.att.com
Wed May 17 03:43:47 AEST 1989

>#1:  You cannot use the SUN XD7053, you need a Xylogics 753 certified for
>the 3.0 transfer rate.  The SUN controllers don't always have drivers
>which are fast enough for the 3.0 rate.

I'm using a SUN SMD-4 (the 7053) with a CDC 9720-1230 drive and I've never
had any problems, so the SMD-4 does handle 3 MB/s transfer rates.  I know
the documentation for the SMD-4 says that it will only support up to 2.4
transfer rates, but I called SUN technical support and they said it really
does support 3.0 transfer rates.  I guess the most convincing argument is
the fact that it works fine.

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com