Ethernet address of second board on Sun

Steve Nuchia nuchat!steve at uunet.uu.net
Mon May 8 23:16:13 AEST 1989

ehrlich at shire.cs.psu.edu (Daniel R. Ehrlich) writes:
>Try this one.  We have a single coax on which we run two different class B
>networks, 128.118 and 130.203.  As far as I know this is perfectly OK.
>Here is were the trouble starts.  Assume I have a Sun with three ethernet
>interfaces that I would like to use as a gateway between the two class B
>nets (remember these are both on the same physical wire) and a third class

There is an undocumented ifconfig option that overrides the ethernet
address of the interface.  Sun uses this in their Sunlink DNI (DECnet
compatiblity software) product.  My guess is you can use it to make the
boards have whatever address you want.  Choosing a good address is left as
an excersize. :-)

The only documentation I've seen is in the installation scripts for DNI,
and all that stuff is at a client site that I can't get to anytime soon,
but the hint should help.

Suggest you get your Sun contact to dig up the details for you.  Another
thing to check is to see if you can find where they are setting the
addresses.  I'd guess that the boards have unique addresses burned into
them and they are having the default address loaded into them in one of
the boot scripts.

Steve Nuchia	      South Coast Computing Services
uunet!nuchat!steve    POB 890952  Houston, Texas  77289
(713) 964 2462	      Consultation & Systems, Support for PD Software.