Adding a CDC Wren V Disk to a 3/50 or 3/60 under SunOS 3.5

Dwight Ernest independent!dwight at uunet.uu.net
Wed May 3 13:21:16 AEST 1989

Greetings!

I'm having some interesting trouble trying to add a CDC Wren V 94168-383H
drive to a 3/50.

When trying to get the drive going with a new Emulex MD21 SCSI-ESDI
controller (that was NOT purchased through Sun), I can successfully format
and partition the drive using the /stand/diag tools, which is quite
encouraging. The 3.5 setup program, however, doesn't recognize any label
on the disk. Is there a particular label that it would recognize?  Can I
write the disk label in a way that it would understand?

Skipping setup, then, and plunging right along toward trying a 'newfs' on
it, I get an error trying to write to the last sector in the partition,
even though I have rather carefully calculated how many sectors there
should be in that partition. In fact, regardless of my specified partition
size, I always get this problem.

Can anyone else aim me in the right direction? I would dearly love to make
this work properly.

Regards,

		--Dwight Ernest
		  Technical Systems Coordinator
		  The Independent (Newspaper Publishing PLC)
		  40 City Road, London EC1Y 2DB
			  Phone: +44 1 956 1633
			  ...ukc!independent!dwight