Parallel ports and printers for SUNs?

John C Schultz schultz at mmm.serc.mmm.com
Fri May 19 12:18:18 AEST 1989

I am trying to justify purchasing a Postscript(tm) 1200 by 600 DPI laser
printer from a company called Printware.  While this printer has serial,
Centronics parallel, and Appletalk connections (it supposed selects any of
the three on a first-come first-served basis), the serial port is limited
to 9600 baud which means a .5 MB Postscript image takes (uh-h-h-h) about
500 seconds to print.

My question is has anyone had experience(s) with Centronics parallel ports
on a SUN 3?  For obvious speed reasons I would like to use the parallel
port but using what hardware and software are the main questions?
Printware does not have a SUN software driver although maybe one for
Interleaf.  In any case, I need to print arbitrary Postscript files (e.g.
images) and having an interface tied to a particular software package is
no good.

 john c. schultz   schultz at 3M.Com   ..!uiucuxc!mmm!schultz  (612) 733-4047
           3M Center, Bldg 518-1-1, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000
  The opinions expressed herein are, as always, my own and not 3M's.