Help with sendmail.cf

Paul Eggert twinsun!eggert at uunet.uu.net
Thu Oct 19 13:45:05 AEST 1989

In Sun-Spots v8i161m9 mark at deltam.com (Mark Galbraith) writes that he's
trying to set up sendmail.cf for his machine connected to uunet.  He asks:

	1.  How do I hide the internal machine names on our network?

	2.  How can the returned addresses be kept in internet format?

Both (1) and (2) are the _default_ under SunOS 4.0.*.  If you're not
running 4.0.*, you might upgrade; or you might try upgrading your
/usr/lib/sendmail.main.cf file to the "main.mc 1.15 88/02/08 SMI" version,
which comes with 4.0.*.

Here's all we had to do on our machine connected to the modem.  We
installed a copy of /usr/lib/sendmail.main.cf into /etc/sendmail.cf, with
the following changes:

34,35c34,35
< DR ddn-gateway
< CR ddn-gateway
---
> DR uunet
> CR uunet
66c66,67
< # DmPodunk.EDU
---
> Cmtwinsun.com
> Dmtwinsun.com

Sun's Podunk comment is misleading; it should also contain a Cm line.

If you haven't arranged for uunet to forward your domain's mail to you
(that is, if you are asking only question [1] and not question [2] above),
you must also change the sendmail.cf line "DMsmartuucp" to "DMuucp".

We also add the h flag to our uucp mailer spec by globally substituting
"msDFMuU" for "msDFMhuU" in sendmail.cf.  This lets addresses like
"UUNET!user" work; occasionally some (non-Sun) mailers uppercase parts of
return addresses.