Help with sendmail.cf

mark galbraith mark at deltam.com
Tue Oct 10 11:00:07 AEST 1989

I am afraid I am joining the large club of sysadmins that have trouble
with changes to the sendmail.cf file.  It seems that even the smallest
attempt at customizing sendmail causes MAJOR problems.

We have a small network, connected to uunet by high-speed uucp link.  One
host on the network is designated the mailhost, and all others are
subsidiary machines.

The change I am trying to make (right now at least) is to cause sendmail
not to include the hostname of the subsidiary machines in the Reply-To
line.  In other words, I am trying to hide the internal machine names of
our network.  I have mail aliases to handle getting mail to the right
place, so that is not a problem.  I have tried several times to get this
working, each more disasterous than the one before.  Any help from the
wizards out there would be appreciated.

On a related note, is there a way to cause the return addresses referenced
in the previous paragraph to be formatted in internet format (i.e.,
user at host) rather than uucp format (i.e., host!user).  This would make
things a little easier as our domain is registered with the nic-server.

I'm sure this has been covered before, but I don't know where, and I am
getting nowhere fast trying to use the information in the Sun Manuals.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark Galbraith				Voice:  415-449-6881
Tech Writer/Programmer/Postmaster	UUCP:   uunet!deltam!mark

The opinions expressed are mine.  My employer's opinions may be different!