The SUN is setting!!

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Sun Oct 1 04:05:46 AEST 1989

>As to the other rumors, I suggest before we fall victim to the
>journalists, lets ask where the rumors come from, and run down a source
>before we blindly advance them.  The thought of Sun ousting the Sun3 Sun4
>lines is border-line absurd (at this point).

Yup.  It's not absurd to consider that Sun may be dropping their
68020-based machines, but that's no longer equivalent to dropping the
Sun-3 line - the 68020-based machines were pretty much obsoleted by the
68030-based machines.  It's also not absurd to consider that Sun may be
dropping the machines that now bear the name "Sun-4", but that's not
equivalen to dropping all SPARC-based machines - the newer machines were
redubbed SPARCS{tations,systems} by Sun marketing.  (Sun doesn't have any
"non-SPARC SUN4" machines to drop, unless, say, a MIPS-based machine snuck
in there somewhere....)

I.e., the rumors may really pertain to a cleanup of the Sun product
line, with the older machines getting the boot.