The SUN is setting!!

Kemp at dockmaster.ncsc.mil Kemp at dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Sun Oct 1 09:04:00 AEST 1989

 >> As I'm sure most of you have seen in the press, Sun is trying to sell off
 >> their 386i line of hardware.
 > I too read this vicious rumor . . .

Just why do you characterize the EE Times article as a *vicious* rumor and
"typical journalism"?  As I remember the article (I don't have it in front
of me), it presented the following:

1) Sun was looking around for a buyer for the 386i line, and in the
process contacted Intel.

2) Intel wasn't interested.

which is apparently true.  What is it about the article that leads you to
say "I (wrongly) believed that the integrity of EE-Times reporting was
second to none.  Why they dug this up (or from where) I don't know."

Is there anything in the article that smacks of lack of integrity?  Isn't
the purpose of journalism to "dig things up"?

You say the article is "out of date", but as of today, I haven't seen any
indication from Sun that the 386i line is not on the block.  When Sun does
make such an announcement, the article will be out of date.  That's the
way news is - it isn't news for long.

I personally wouldn't be too upset if Sun decided to follow Scott
McNealy's stated intention of focusing resources on SPARC/Unix/Open_Look.

 >>Well, in addition to that they are also rumored to be planning the end
 >>of the entire SUN3 line and any non-SPARC SUN4 machine by December 31!!!

Well, just what is a "non-SPARC SUN4" machine??  If there was such a beast
I would hope Sun would be planning the end of it!  :-)

I second Mr.  Miller's suggestion that if you want to know what's
happening, you should ask Sun.  If you buy enough equipment from them, and
you sign a non-disclosure agreement, they'll be happy to tell you.

    Dave Kemp <Kemp at dockmaster.ncsc.mil>