Setting up a Sparcstation lab.

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Tue Oct 24 01:16:26 AEST 1989

In article <2276 at brazos.Rice.edu> dougm at umrisca.isc.umr.edu (Doug Meyer) writes:

|I am posting this for a friend. Please respond to the address given below.
|
|We are considering setting up a small lab of SUN Sparcstations and were
|wondering if anyone else had had experiences (good or bad) with a similar
|setup. Here is what we are considering:
|
| 1.) ~10 Sparcstations, each with 8M of memory and a single 104M local disk
|     for paging and temp space.
| 2.) An additional Sparcstation with ~2G of SCSI disk space to act as a
|     file server for 1.).
|
|We would also appreciate knowing, from those that have similar installations,
|what type of high capacity disks are being used. The SUN rep here is
|understandibly trying to sell us their drives, but we are seriously
|considering going to a third-party for them.

We have three SS-1's in house, and 2 SS-370's in house. I would definitely
recommend the 370 as the server for your SS-1's. I have a Xylogics 753 in
the 370 with a CDC sabre connected to it. It works great.  I am kind of
partial to the CDC's, I am sure you will get other opinions.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110