Filesystem Backup using /etc/dump fails.....

WINSTON at NUSEEV.BITNET WINSTON at NUSEEV.BITNET
Sun Oct 8 06:21:00 AEST 1989

I have this problem when trying to do a level zero (0) backup of my SUN
3/140's filesystem. I have done numerous backups before but have never
encountered this problem. I followed the steps as recommended, that is,
first shutdown the system to single user mode, then do a /etc/fsck. After
that then the backup using the following command:

    /etc/dump 0ucbsf 126 3825 /dev/nrst8 /dev/rsd0g

I use 1/4" cartridge tapes for backup, and this is the command that I was
told to use when I attended a system administration course conducted by
the local distributor. /dev/rsd0g is the 'g' partition that is mounted on
/usr.

The problem that I am facing now is as in the following error messages
from /etc/dump,

DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: .....
DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: .....
DUMP: Dumping /dev/rsd0g (/usr) to /dev/nrst8
DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular file]
DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
DUMP: estimated 139822 blocks (68.72 MB) on 0.17 tape(s).
DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
DUMP: 35.32% done, finished in 0:09
DUMP: 68.76% done, finished in 0:04
DUMP: Tape write error 5739 feet into tape 1
DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Do you want to restart? :......

Initially, I thought its due to a faulty tape. But after trying repeatedly
with different tapes, even brand new ones, I still get the same error.
Restarting the dump process doesn't help either.

Has anyone encountered this problem before, and what is the remedy?  I
would be most grateful for whatever advice, remedies, suggestions that you
may have. You can email directly to me or thru Sun-Spots.

Thanks very much.

Winston Seah
Dept of Electrical Engineering
National University of Singapore