Strange error message

Tad Guy tadguy at cs.odu.edu
Thu Oct 5 04:07:39 AEST 1989

In article <1917 at brazos.Rice.edu> botticel at olympus.crd.ge.com (David J. Botticello) writes:

Well, here is a new one on me, hopefully it is old hat to someone else.
Sept 28 17:21:19 mpsun1 vmunix: /: optimization changed from time to space
Any clues???

In the 4.3BSD ufs_alloc.c:
        case FS_OPTTIME:
                /*
                 * At this point we have discovered a file that is trying
                 * to grow a small fragment to a larger fragment. To save
                 * time, we allocate a full sized block, then free the
                 * unused portion. If the file continues to grow, the
                 * `fragextend' call above will be able to grow it in place
                 * without further copying. If aberrant programs cause
                 * disk fragmentation to grow within 2% of the free reserve,
                 * we choose to begin optimizing for space.
                 */
	[ generates the ``time to space'' message ]

Likewise, there's also this section:
        case FS_OPTSPACE:
                /*
                 * Allocate an exact sized fragment. Although this makes
                 * best use of space, we will waste time relocating it if
                 * the file continues to grow. If the fragmentation is
                 * less than half of the minimum free reserve, we choose
                 * to begin optimizing for time.
                 */
	[ generates the ``space to time'' message ]

Looks like you've got some fragmentation going on, probably on a crowded
disk.  (Our news spool did this for a while).

	...tad