Strange error message

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Fri Oct 6 01:39:32 AEST 1989

In article <1917 at brazos.Rice.edu> botticel at olympus.crd.ge.com (David J. Botticello) writes:

>Well, here is a new one on me, hopefully it is old hat to someone else.
>
>Last week we found the following message on the console of a 3/260 with
>64Megs ECC memory, Color Fast-write board, 1x288 SMD disk, 1x327 SCSI
>disk, and FPU.
>
>Sept 28 17:21:19 mpsun1 vmunix: /: optimization changed from time to space
>
>We have seen no other trouble/symptoms since. (I know, if it ain't broke
>don't fix it...But curiosity has got me on this one)
>
>Any clues???

I believe what you are seeing is a message related to the organization of
your root filesystem. Normally, Sunos reserves 10% of a filesystem for
overhead and to prevent the system from becoming tool full and
fragmenting.  This figure can be changed using the -m switch with newfs.
Generally if the value is 10% or greater, the filesystem is optimized for
speed of access at a penalty in disk space of course. If this value is
<10%, the optimization is for disk space (at a speed penalty).  Possibly
when the filesystem was created, somebody used this switch to specify <10%
free space and when it came close to that threshold, the file system
switched. The -o switch on newfs can also be used to override the
optimization type.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110