magic limits on -root= option in /etc/exports

Robert Perlberg step!perl at uunet.uu.net
Sat Sep 9 03:39:50 AEST 1989

In article <988 at brazos.Rice.edu>, poffen at sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) writes:

> In article <378 at brazos.Rice.edu> ekrell at ulysses.att.com (Eduardo Krell) writes:
> >
> >This applies to SunOS 4.0.3
> >
> >I just found out that there's a magic limit of 10 hosts in the "root="
> >option in /etc/exports (this lists the hosts to which root access is
> >granted).
>

> Each diskless client should have its own root and swap partition.

This totally misses the point.  The -root= option is for more than just
accessing the root partition.  It allows the superuser on one machine
to have write access to all of the files on all of another machine's
file systems.

This is distressing news since we are on the verge of getting some more
workstations which will put us over the 10 machine limit and break a
lot of our code.  HELP!

Does the old "change nobody to 0" kernel patch still work?

Robert Perlberg
Dean Witter Reynolds Inc., New York
phri!{dasys1 | philabs | mancol}!step!perl
	-- "I am not a language ... I am a free man!"