The SUN is setting!!

Michael A. Green mike%cs.keele.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Sat Sep 30 02:07:21 AEST 1989

Just my two pence worth:-

In article <1780 at brazos.Rice.edu>, by gam at cvedc.prime.com (Gregory Miller):

> And as to 240 days, geez, I'm glad I'm not stuck with Chuck's salesman,
> and I do feel sorry for him.  The worst wait we've had is 1/3rd of that or
> 90 days.  Again, is the lead time a rumor? According to who? For what
> machine (specifically)? On what quantity basis? For how large of a
> customer? And on what financing terms?
>
> -Good Luck
> -My two cents worth
>
> Gregory Miller

Yesterday I asked the Sun bod at the PCW show in London about these
various rumours. He denied all knowledge of any sell-offs etc.

On the case of long(!) lead times for delivery he said yep it is true.

He did however say that they had plenty of machines in storage awaiting
delivery, BUT their stock program was playing up.

Apparently they just changed to an IBM based accounting program. It is
refusing to print out the correct shipping orders, so they are almost
being done by hand... very slow.

His general comment was "Blame IBM for the delays" - a quote.

|Michael A. Green.              |JANET:  mike at uk.ac.keele.cs                |
|Department of Computer Science |BITNET: mike%cs.kl.ac.uk at ukacrl            |
|University of Keele, Keele,    |ARPANET:mike%cs.kl.ac.uk at nfsnet-relay.ac.uk|
|Staffordshire. ST5 5BG.   U.K. |VOICE:  +44 782 621111  ex. 3357/3347      |