More than two drives on an Xy7053

Charles H. Buchholtz chip at pender.ee.upenn.edu
Sat Sep 30 02:01:44 AEST 1989

It is possible to hang up to four disks off of an Xy7053 (SMD-4)
controller, but I remember hearing somewhere that you take a big
performance hit if you hang more than two drives off of one controller.

I have two Hitachi DK815-10s and a new CDC Sabre 1.2 Gig.  I have a
Xylogics 7053 (Sun SMD-4) controller, and I'm wondering whether to buy a
new set of cables, or another 7053 to support the new disk.

Any advice or experience will be greatly appreciated.  Email me and I'll
summarize to the news-group.

Thanks,

Charles H. Buchholtz                           chip at ee.upenn.edu
Systems Programmer                             (215) 898-2284
Department of Electrical Engineering           200 S. 33rd St, rm 328
University of Pennsylvania                     Philadelphia, PA 19104