setting actimeo will cure 4.0.1 nfs problem ?

Eric Ho eho at clarity.princeton.edu
Sun Sep 3 10:53:27 AEST 1989

I have recently posted some messages about system mailboxes got trashed
(messages got overwritten entirely & partially, actually it is not limited
to system mailboxes but also to all other nfs-mounted filesystems -- our
system mailboxes are nfs-mounted by diskless clients) and I've received
message from other people on the net that it is an nfs bug and Sun has
contacted me that their nfs engineers are looking into this.  I just
wonder that if anyone has tried fiddling with the various acmin, actime,
acmax parameters in their clients' /etc/fstab files and if it would cure
it.  I have the suspicion that it is a NFS/VM (virtual memory) cache
coherency bug.

Any pointers appreciated.

Eric Ho
Cognitive Science Lab.,		Princeton University
voice = 609-987-2987		email = eho at confidence.princeton.edu
	609-987-2819 (messages)		eho at bogey.princeton.edu