PD or under $400 printer+file sharing software for Mac ethertalk card?

Eric Ho eho at clarity.princeton.edu
Sun Sep 3 10:26:14 AEST 1989

Does anyone know of any PD or under $400 packages that allow my Mac-2 with
an ethernet card (Kinetics) to share files on my Sun and also being able
to spool files to my Sun LaserWriter (i.e. I still want the LaserWriter
still to be control by my Sun) ?  My Sun (Sparc) is running SunOS 4.0.1.
Also, I still want to be able to continue to use Transcript 2.[01] on my
Sun since I'm pretty much dependent on it for my (& others in the lab)
day-to-day work.

I've heard of K-Spool & uShare -- both runs as daemons on the Suns but
they're far too expensive -- ranging from $600~$700 to $1000, I mean this
is ridiculous since I can get my Mac EtherTalk card for around $400 and
I'm just hooking 1 Mac-2 to the local ethernet.  The folks at Columbia &
Stanford apparently have written the drivers & the printer/file sharing
packages for the Kinetics FastPath but that they need a FastPath box or
the equivalent gateway/bridge box and this kind of boxes cost upwards of
$3000 so it is out of the question since I'm just talking about my 1
Mac-2.

I'll be interested to know of if others have similiar situations and what
had been done about that.

Eric Ho
Cognitive Science Lab.,		Princeton University
voice = 609-987-2987		email = eho at confidence.princeton.edu
	609-987-2819 (messages)		eho at bogey.princeton.edu