Sun Cartridge Tape problem.

Andrew Simms asimms at phoenix.princeton.edu
Fri Sep 22 01:15:27 AEST 1989

Do sun cartridge tape drives ever need calibration or adjustment?   When I
try to boot a tape (like the 4.0 install tape), I get:

        Boot: st(0,0,0)
        st:error 96A0

I would normally assume a hardware problem (of the get it fixed elsewhere
variety), but I get the same message on 3 of my Sun 3/160s.  I coerced one
of the drives into reading a tape once (with repeated retries, but I can
never get them to read a boot tape).

Unfortunately, the machines were here before I  arrived so I don't know if
they ever worked.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Just send me mail, I will summarize and
post the results.

--Andrew Simms
ams at acm.princeton.edu