Serial boards for 386i - info wanted

Jim Budler jim at eda.com
Thu Sep 21 07:08:08 AEST 1989

wcs at ho95c.att.com (William Clare Stewart) writes:

>We just got a Sun 386i, and would like to add a couple serial ports.
>Rather than buying an expensive N-port card, we'd like to use  the
>standard PC-bus serial cards we have around.  The Sun comes with
>instructions for using them from DOS (worked fine), but we want to use
>them from UNIX so we can do things like uucp.  Does anyone have a driver
>that supports them?  Thanks;

Near the bottom of the rc.local delivered with sunOS4.0.1:
+=======================================================================
+ #     Loadable drivers get loaded here.
+ cd /etc/modules
+
+ # cg5 accelerated frame buffer driver
+ modload cgfive.o -exec cgfive.script
+
+ # Uncomment the line below to load the AT serial port driver.
+ #modload ats.o -exec ats.script -conf ats_conf && chat 'AT serial port driver.'
+
+ #
+ # We know that the above two drivers can safely run with kernel paging
+ # enabled, so we re-enable kernel paging now.
+ /usr/etc/kernpage on
+=======================================================================

check the manual page for modload, modunload, modstat.

the sun386i comes with a generic IBM clone driver for COM1: and COM2:

On the other hand, I want 19200 out of the additional port(s) I add
and have not found any IBM PC serial boards supporting this. I am
interested in any information on single or multiport boards, with or
without drivers.

Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
                     domain: jim at eda.com
                 compuserve: 72415,1200
voice     = +1 408 986-9585    fax     = +1 408 748-1032