questions on SunOS 4.0 adjtime() system routine

Lucy Chao lucyc at jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 6 11:28:56 AEST 1989

Dear UNIX Experts :

We had just recently converted to SunOS4.0 from SunOS3.5.  And to our
surprise, the system adjtime() routine had been changed in SunOS4.0.  In
version 3.5, the adjtime() routine would always speed up or slow down the
system's clock by 10% (a fixed percentage) -- which means that for every
10 seconds, the system's clock would slow down or speed up 1 second.  So
in version  3.5, if somebody calls adjtime(), he (or she) will be able to
calculate how long it will take for the system's clock to be fully
adjusted.  However, in version 4.0, the adjtime() has been changed; the
time adjustment is now effected by speeding up or slowing down the
system's clock by some small percentage, generally a fraction of one
percent.  And when we actually tried adjusting time with the the adjtime()
routine in version 4.0, the system's clock was adjusted at such a rapid
speed (in comparison with the adjtime() in SunOS3.5) that it is difficult
to estimate the exact percentage based on which the system's clock is
adjusted.  According the the system man page, the rate of the time
adjustment in OS4.0 MAY very will be variable based on some "unknown"
factors; it may even be an unknown function based on the amount of time
that needs to be corrected.  And to our knowledge, at this point, the
system built in man page is our only source of information on the
adjtime() routine.

	IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE WHO KNOWS WHAT THIS "UNKNOWN" FUNCTION
	OR FRACTION OF PERCENTAGE MAY BE IN SUNOS 4.0 ???

	DOES ANYBODY KNOWS ANYTHING THAT MAY HELP US TO ESTIMATE THE
	AMOUNT OF TIME NEEDED BY THE 4.0 adjtime() TO COMPLETE THE TIME
	ADJUSTMENT REQUESTED ??

I would really appreciate any help from anybody on this.

Thank You So Very Much !!

							Sincerely,
							  Lucy Chao