Out of streams resources

Kemp at dockmaster.ncsc.mil Kemp at dockmaster.ncsc.mil
Fri Sep 1 11:47:00 AEST 1989

J Grant Bristow writes:

 > I know whis has been discussed (and solved already I think), but I
 > can't seem to find the answer anywhere.  We got the message "out of
 > streams resource", and I know that we cannot just increase the default
 > NSTREAMS variable in param.c without changing something else.  Could
 > someone please send me the changes required to increase the streams
 > resource?

Again, the answer is in the Software Technical Bulletin (STB), April
1989, p.  528:

"The number of initial STREAMS structures which are available is limited
by the NSTREAM parameter in param.c and by a default set to 32.

[I assume this means that NSTREAMS is by default set to 32 - dpk]

Each opened pty, every remote user, and every user logged in on a serial
terminal uses a STREAMS.  To judge how large to make NSTREAMS, take the
number of active serial ports, add the estimated number of remotely logged
users, add the maximum number of SunView windows you will have open at any
time, and then add about 20% to make sure you have not underestimated the
peak number of STREAMS connections."

[The 20% will not, of course, "make sure you have not underestimated", but
it will help if you have, in fact, underestimated by 20% or less - dpk]

The STB has lots of good stuff, like an in depth feature on the 4.0.3 scsi
driver (June), and the "hacker's corner" column, which had three CG6 demo
programs in July.  If you have software maintenance, take the time to read
through the STB's - it's time well spent.  If you don't have software
maintenance, perhaps you should.

   Dave Kemp <Kemp at dockmaster.ncsc.mil>