Solbourne

Tim Richardson tim at vicom.com
Mon Sep 25 16:58:07 AEST 1989

=In article <1637 at brazos.Rice.edu> you write:
=
=Some potential compatibility problems with Solbourne (and, I presume,
=other vendors to come) are that they don't quite offer a complete SunOS (a
=
=P.S.  We don't have a Solbourne.  I'd be interested in hearing directly
=from people who do.  Most requests to this list for Solbourne experiences
=seem to go unanswered.

Not only does Solbourne not have a completely compatible software release
with 100% of Sun software, they aren't even hardware compatible.  Their
implementation of the VMEbus leaves the Rev C1 published spec., writhing
in agony.  I mean like who ever heard of not being able to address in A32
space??? or having to drive the upper 8 address bits to zero (remember
that the backplane terminators drive them to a logic 1 if not driven by
the current bus master) even if you want to talk in A24 space?

'Course thats not all, but it should give you an idea.

Tim Richardson
                      |  ames!vsi1!tim   tim at vicom.com
Vicom Systems Inc.