Exabyte help needed

duane at ginosko.samsung.com duane at ginosko.samsung.com
Sat Sep 30 03:28:25 AEST 1989

Well, we have been trying to get an Exabyte tape drive working on our
Sun-3/260 for some time now. I am now officially desparate enough to ask
for help from sun-spots.

We have a 1/4" cartridge tape (st0/st8) on the first SCSI controller card
(si0). For some reason lost in antiquity, we ordered a separate SCSI card
(si1) for the exabyte. After much screwing around, we finally got the
second SCSI recognized by the kernel, with 2 tapes on it: st2 at si1 slave
32, st3 at si1 slave 40. Here, we quit having any luck. The kernel doesn't
seem to recognize that there is a tape drive out there.

Any pointers to appropriate switch settings on the exabyte, and what
device names in /dev we need would be VERY much appreciated.  Machine
downtime to experiment with the drive is hard to come by, and we are
running out of easy ideas to try out.

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)  w:(508)-685-7200 X122  h:(603)-434-7934
Samsung Software America	 decvax!cg-atla!ginosko!duane
1 Corporate Drive			  uunet/
Andover, MA.   01810		 duane at ginosko.samsung.com