YP strangeness

duane at ginosko.samsung.com duane at ginosko.samsung.com
Sat Sep 30 03:29:46 AEST 1989

We have a bizarre yellow pages problem with our 4.0.3 network.  Imposter
is our YP server; a 3/260. Every other machine in our mixed network
connects to it. When it crashes or comes down for whatever reason, then
comes alive again, one of our machines, a 3/160, does not "re-connect" to
the yellow pages. Every other machine (DECs, 3/50, 3/60, Sequent, etc.)
comes back alive just fine, but our 3/160 stays catatonic, spitting out
"yp server not responding; still trying" indefinitely. We eventually have
to reboot it (can't even get a shell to fastboot it, so FSCK takes about
30 minutes for 2.5 GB of disk :-( )

Anyone have any clues as to why this machine ALWAYS dies, and none
of the others do?

Andrew L. Duane (JOT-7)  w:(508)-685-7200 X122  h:(603)-434-7934
Samsung Software America	 decvax!cg-atla!ginosko!duane
1 Corporate Drive			  uunet/
Andover, MA.   01810		 duane at ginosko.samsung.com