SunOS talk protocol

Steve Feldman feldman at boris.Tymnet.COM
Sat Sep 30 03:41:46 AEST 1989

Actually, Sun used the 4.2bsd talk program, which had byte-order
dependencies in the protocol.  In 4.3bsd, talk was modified to use network
byte ordering in the protocol, making it machine independent.  It uses a
different UDP port number also.  Unfortunately, Sun never adopted this
version.

There are two ways you could go:

1) Port the 4.3 talk program to the sun.  I did this once a long time ago,
and it wasn't too hard.

2) Modify the 4.2 talk program (in /usr/src/old on the 4.3 distribution)
to use network byte order.  I've never tried this.

	Steve Feldman
	Tymnet