SunOS talk protocol

Barry Margolin barmar at think.com
Fri Sep 29 05:23:18 AEST 1989

Is there any documentation for the protocol used by talk/talkd in SunOS
4.0.3.  The only thing the man page says is that it's
architecture-dependent.  I'd like to write an implementation for another
machine that is compatible with the Suns.

I've got the source to the 4.3bsd talkd, which I suspect is what SunOS 3.5
used (the architecture dependence is presumably due to byte order
problems).  But SunOS 3.5 machines can't talk to SunOS 4.0.x machines, so
it appears that Sun changed the protocol in between.  Barry Margolin,
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar at think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar