Exabyte on Sparcstation-1 ?

Matthias Kandler kandler at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
Tue Sep 5 21:15:49 AEST 1989

I patched st.o as dan at wind.bellcore.com (Daniel Strick) suggested in
<955 at brazos.Rice.edu>. The positive result was that
	 'st0: unsupported drive found - ignored'
disappeared. Dan, your guess about ST_AUTODEN_OVERRIDE is correct. This flag
must be set to stop complaints about mode selection failures.

But I still can't write to the Exabyte. I tried fixed and variable record size
and experimented whith the other driver options flags. During write I get the
error message:
	 esp0: 4.0 data exhaust, stat 0x10<XZERO>
	 laststate 'UNKNOWN' last cmd dma tran_info
	 last dma 0xfff048b8 current dma 0xfff04cb8;dma csr 0x80000000
	 command transport failed: reason 'reset.., retrying command
This is with almost every combination of 'ST_*' flags I tried. (I didn't
try all the 2^11 possibilities). The only exception is if I set ST_REEL. Then
the error message complains about 'illegal requests' which I think is even
worse.

You, who have some insight into the problems of SCSI. Do you know what is
going on ?

Matthias Kandler  Inst. f. Informatik     LOC=lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
                  TU Muenchen             kandler at LOC
                  Postfach 20 24 20       kandler%LOC@{unido.uucp,relay.cs.net}
                  D-8000 Muenchen 2       Telefon: (089) 2105 2025