Getty Question

Dave Bloom dave at andromeda.rutgers.edu
Sat Sep 23 01:26:06 AEST 1989

Hi there.

I have a project where, instead of starting a getty for the console in
/etc/ttytab, I instead start a shell script, which later exec's getty.

Everything works fine if the user logging in has /bin/sh as his default
login shell, but there are problems if the user's shell is csh or ksh.
The symptoms are as follows: The shell starts up and executes all the
.login or .profile commmands, issues a prompt, and then, just before it's
ready to take the first command, dies and init, seeing that the shell has
died, starts the script anew.

I suspect that the process/tty groups are not being set up correctly, and
the shell dies as a result.

Can someone out there tell me the steps involved in execing a getty to the
console SUCCESSFULLY?

Please respond by email if possible... we are only able to keep three days
of news on this system and I'm afraid I'll miss your message.

Thanx.