How to disable sunview keyboard accelerators.

David Legg proton!legg at ucrmath.ucr.edu
Sat Sep 16 07:49:13 AEST 1989

I am trying to set up a tool like application for relatively inexperienced
users.  I have only a little experience with the sunview interface myself.
I would like to prevent them from gaining access to the desktop root menu
and the frame menus.  I have tried a number of different methods of
achieving this, without complete success.

Method 1: If I tell the frame to ignore all keyboard and pick events, then
when the cursor is placed in the frame header area, (changes to small
circle), and the rightmost mouse button is pressed, the rootmenu appears.
This method sucessfully disables the frame menu and accelerators, but
leaves the rootmenu accessible. (I cannot null the rootmenu since I do
need to log off eventually, and therefore need the exit item of the
rootmenu).

Method 2: I leave the frame menu accessible, but inactivate all items in
it.  This does prevent access to the rootmenu (the window is set to cover
the entire desktop) via the route in method 1 above.  But since the
keyboard accelerators are now also active (control-<middle button> for
instance), the user could use that to resize the window and gain access to
the desk top.

I have looked at the manuals, but without any success.  If anyone can
suggest a method to achieve the desired result, or even what section of
the manual would be best to concentrate on, I would appreciate it.

TIA
Dave Legg			|Internet: legg%proton.uucp at ucrmath.ucr.edu
Radiation Research Lab		|UUCP:	...!ucrmath!proton!legg
Loma Linda University Medical Center
Loma Linda, CA 92354. (714) 824-4075