Fireworks program

Bill Carpenter wjc at ho5cad.att.com
Sat Sep 30 02:20:00 AEST 1989

On  (13 Sep 89) sun-spots moderator writes:

> Ed's note: Source available on titan.rice.edu via FTP
>            file: /sun-source/fworks.sh

Does this mean that I should be able to get it via the archive-server by
requesting sun-source fworks.sh?  I tried that and got a "not found".

BTW, I recently noticed that several of the dates in the index for
sun-source are not right.  Some mention dates in 1989 that haven't
happened yet.

Editor's Response:

Yes, after some fiddling with everything, I have found that the archive
server can still be used to retrieve source by any site (including those
without FTP or UUCP capability). This is done simply (as indicated above)
by sending a mail message with a line such as the following:

         SEND dirname filename

where dirname is the name of the directory that the file lives in and
filename is the actual name of the file. For additional help with the
archive server, you may simply send the command

         HELP

to the archive server. The archive server's address is
"archive-server at rice.edu" and it will return whichever file you request
via normal mail. Please note that you may use this service to retrieve
source (directory sun-source), icons (directory sun-icons) and even
backissues of this digest (directory sun-spots).

As indicated above, the index and directory files for the archive server
are a little out of date. I will be bringing them up to date over the next
week, so if you try and get a bad response, please wait until after
October 6th and then try again. FTP retrieval of source will not be
affected by my updating the index files, this is simply to get the archive
server up to date.

Thanks for your patience - I will post a brief note here when the archive
server is 100% up to date.

  Bob Greene
  Sunspots / Comp.sys.sun Moderator

  RGREENEB at RICEVM1.BITNET