Disk Quotas

Hugh Fader hugh at slee01.srl.ford.com
Thu Apr 12 22:53:05 AEST 1990

I'm trying to set up disk quotas on a Sun Sparcstation I. I have
encountered something I don't understand. TFM says that quotas are
specified in 1K blocks so a quota of 1000 is 1 Mb of disk space.  The
output from the quota command doesn't agree with this. For example user
smith has a 20 Mb disk quota on /home. The output from quota is.

# quota -v smith
Disk quotas for smith (uid 103):
Filesystem     usage  quota  limit    timeleft  files  quota  limit    timeleft
/home              6  20000  21000                  0      0      0

What is the usage of 6 mean?  If I do a du on smith's account I get:

# du -s ~smith
12703	/home/smith

Smith does own all the files in this account.  Another account with about
12 Mb of use (obtained from du) shows 0 usage from the quota command. I
don't understand. Can somebody out there educate me?

Hugh Fader
hugh at slee01.srl.ford.com