ypset not allowed?

Gregory N. Bond gnb at melba.oz.au
Fri Apr 13 02:09:58 AEST 1990

We have just updated to SunOs 4.0.3, and have come across some problems
with YP.  I presume it has to do with the increased security of YP in this
release.  I have not installed the "Security" install stuff, so we don't
use authenticated RPC etc etc.  Our YP master is a 3.5 machine.

When I try to run ypset (which we need to do, as clients have a habit of
binding to machines on the other end of a MAC bridge, overloading the link
in the middle), I get an error message:

  Sorry, I couldn't send my rpc message to ypbind on host wran.

from ypset and a message on the console:

  ypbind: Set domain request to host 192.9.200.50, from host 192.9.200.63,
  failed (ypset not allowed)!

How do I do a ypset?  I currently have to kill the ypbind and restart it
and hope this it binds on the right side of the MAC bridge...

Have I installed something wrong?  Is thes a Known Bug?

Gregory Bond, Burdett Buckeridge & Young Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Internet: gnb at melba.bby.oz.au    non-MX: gnb%melba.bby.oz at uunet.uu.net
Uucp: {uunet,pyramid,ubc-cs,ukc,mcvax,prlb2,nttlab...}!munnari!melba.bby.oz!gnb