need info on tcsh and other shells

Allen Myers x33129 Myers dasun!myers at sunkist.west.sun.com
Fri Apr 13 10:32:16 AEST 1990

I'm looking for information on tcsh. I've seen it mentioned dozens of
times but I know nothing about it. In particular,

1) Who wrote it; where does it come from?
   [[Ed's Note: from the README:

    Paul Placeway
    ARPA:	paul at ohio-state.{arpa,csnet}
    (soon):	paul at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
    UUCP:	...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!paul
    (soon):	...!cbosgd!osu-cis!paul

I found a copy on uunet.uu.net in the comp.sources.unix in volume 11.

2) Is it Public Domain?
   [[Ed's Note: Yes.]]

3) What are some of its features; e.g., is it Bourne/C/K -shell
   compatible, or a superset of any of these?

Perhaps if someone could e-mail me a copy of the README or release notes
or portion of the manual/man page.

[[Ed's Note: Okay, here it is:

Here (at long last) is the latest version of tcsh.  Tcsh is a version
of the Berkeley C-Shell, with the addition of: a command line editor,
command and file name completion, listing, etc.  and a bunch of small
additions to the shell.

Tcsh runs on BSD 4.2 and 4.3 Unix, Sun Unix (tested on 3.0 and 3.2),
Pyramid OS/X (in the bsd universe) (tested on 4.0), Encore UMAX 4.2,
Apple A/UX (Oreo) and is probably portable to anything else that has
Berkeley job control and signals.  It does not yet run on vanilla
System V (that will take more effort).

Feel free to use it.  These changes to csh may only be included in a
commercial product if the inclusion or exclusion does not change the
purchase price, level of support, etc.  Please respect the individual
authors by giving credit where credit is due (in other words, don't
claim that you wrote portions that you haven't, and don't delete the
names of the authors from the source code or documentation).  Remember
also that these changes may be redistributed, but the csh source code
still falls under the Berkeley source code license (that's why I am
distributing diffs).

To install tcsh:

0) you will need a copy of the sources to 4.2 BSD csh, and Larry
Wall's "patch" program.  Sources to the 4.3 csh should be good enough,
although some diffs may have to be applied by hand.

1) Make a directory and COPY the sources to 4.2 BSD csh into it.  Make
sure that you have write permission to all of the files in the
directory.

2) Delete the csh "Makefile".

3) Copy all of the tcsh sources, documentation, diffs, "Makefile.new",
etc. into the directory with the 4.2 csh sources.

4) Rename "Makefile.new" to "Makefile".

5) Say "patch < DIFFS.1", then "patch < DIFFS.2".  Watch the output
very carefully for any failed patches.  If any hunks fail, you will
have to apply them by hand.

6) If you are compiling this for a Macintosh II (running Apple Unix),
then you will have to adjust the compilation flags in Makefile.

7) If you are running something other than a Vax, Sun 2, Sun 3,
Pyramid 90 or 98 series, or a Macintosh II, you will want to adjust
the code in sh.c that determines the value of the "HOSTTYPE"
environment variable for your machine.  Look in sh.c for the string
"HOSTTYPE".

8) you may want to adjust the DESTDIR and DESTMAN entries in the
Makefile.  These are the directories that tcsh, and the tcsh.1 man
entry will be placed in when you do a "make install".  If you decide
to install tcsh somewhere other than in /bin/tcsh, add
"-DSHELLPATH=/your/installation/directory" to the CFLAGS in Makefile.

9) make

10) Read the documentation while you are waiting.  The file tcsh.1 is
in standard [nt]roff -man format.

11) Test tcsh to see that it has compiled correctly.  The history
command should give a time stamp on every entry.  Typing normal
characters should echo each exactly once.  Control-A should put the
cursor at the beginning of the input line, but after the prompt.

  -------

Also, I'm interested in any other quality PD shells, especially one's that
might be truly Korn shell compatible.

Thanks in advance.

Allen Myers - (714) 474-2033 x33129
Systems Engineer, Western Digital Corp.