le1 won't go into promiscuous mode on Sparcstation 1

Rob Liebschutz rob at rjl.com
Fri Apr 13 09:03:37 AEST 1990

I ordered a second ethernet interface (sbus card) for a Sparcstation 1
with the intention to use it for network monitoring purposes.  None of the
programs that I run, etherfind, tcpdump, rpc.etherd seem to be able to put
this interface into promiscuous mode.  Is there something wrong with my
ethernet interface or is this a horrible deficiency in the design of the
hardware?  I have no problems getting le0 to go into promiscuous mode.