SCSI problem: system blocked

Taso Hatzi munnari!murtoa!taso at uunet.uu.net
Sat Apr 7 00:47:45 AEST 1990

The SCSI spec describes a process called `deselection', whereby a device
may temporarily relinquish the bus. I'm just guessing that this feature is
supposed to be used by devices when they are requested to perform slow
operations, eg. disc head movement, tape positioning, etc.

A device driver which does not support deselection is going to have
problems performing in a machine used a file server. Since Sun's are
used as file servers, I would be surprised if their driver did not
support deselection. Can anyone confirm whether it does or doesn't?