postscript previews under sunview revisited

Harold R Pomeranz hrp at homxa.att.com
Sat Apr 7 00:22:29 AEST 1990

Well, first a big thanks to everybody who responded to my posting.  The
general agreement seems to be that xps is the only thing going (it's
available via anonymous ftp from many many sites-- I got mine from
oddput.efd.lth.se, but it's also available on uunet in the
comp.sources.unix archive) but xps is not the greatest thing in the world.
For one thing is scribbles right on your framebuffer so you have to
refresh the screen when you're done previewing to get your windows back
(also things going on in that section of the framebuffer screw up the
viewing area).  Also I've heard some complaints about the character
spacing, but I can't corroborate.

Anyhow, here's my next question:  I got the source and the patches,
unpacked the code, and applied all the patches (four in all).  Now, the
problem is that the last patch (which came from a different source than
the first three) modifies a line in pixrect.c changing a function call
from "DeviceBitmap()" to "Pixrect_addr()".  Well Pixrect_addr() is not
defined either in the code for xps or in any of the OS libs.  So, I put
things back to use DeviceBitmap() (a macro defined in the xps code) and
lo, the beast compiled and ran on my SS1.  Flush with excitement, I
compiled a 68020 version and tried to run it on a 3/60.  It ran allright
and seemed to be doing its computations, but no image was displayed.  Now
my SS1 is monochrome only and the 3/60 was color-- could xps have been
grabbing the wrong screen device on the 3/60?  If this is the case, what's
the best workaround?  If this is not the case, can anybody shed any light
on the situation?  And what about the DeviceBitmap()/Pixrect_addr() issue?

Any insight would be appreciated...

Hal Pomeranz				h_pomeranz at att.com
AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel			att!homxa!h_pomeranz