yppasswdd(8C) bug when source files not in root

Dwight Ernest independent!dwight at relay.eu.net
Fri Apr 13 00:24:39 AEST 1990

I recently moved all of the YP master source files (passwd, hosts, ethers,
etc.) from /etc to a newly-created directory /usr/etc/yp/master in order
to permit local changes in some of those files (especially passwd) without
having the local changes propogated via YP. A problem that's encountered
often, one would think.

After setting up yppasswdd on the YP master with
        /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd /usr/etc/yp/master/passwd -m passwd
and changing the DIR setting in the YP makefile, I tried running yppasswd
to change my own password. All went well until the RPC exchange at the
end, when it came back with "can't change password" and failed.

I R'ed TFM, but could find nothing in my setup that disagreed with any of
the manual pages on the subject, so rang our local Sun hotline.  After a
little checking, the kind and helpful chap on the phone told me there is a
known "feature" of yppasswdd not dealing properly with files that are not
in the root filesystem. He told me that no fix was planned.

Once the files were moved to a directory under root, all went well.

That they're not fixing it doesn't really bother me. That it's not
documented DOES bother me. Perhaps Sun could be persuaded to fix this
omission.
		       UUCP: ...ukc!independent!dwight
		       Internet: dwight%independent at ukc.ac.uk