Sparcstation 1 Dial In/Out

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Tue Apr 10 03:44:38 AEST 1990

>TFM (Sun, System & Network Administration, Chapter 11) describes kernel
>reconfiguration for older hardware to support using the same line for dial
>in and dial out.  Anybody know the variations on this procedure for a
>Sparcstation 1?

See TFM - in this case, TFM is the "SPARCStation 1 SunOS 4.0.3 Sun-4c
Release Notes", on page 82 (in the "Rebuilding the Kernel" section), where
it notes:

Users familiar with other SunOS kernel configuration files may ask where
the "flags" word goes that specifies ignoring CARRIER DETECT for the "zs"
(UART) driver.  This has been replaced by data in the EEPROM, which the
kernel autoconfiguration code asks the PROM to fetch.  These fields
("ttya-ignore-cd" and "ttyb-ignore-cd")  may be set using either the
"eeprom(8S)" command, or commands from the PROM monitor (see
"monitor(8S)).

In SunOS 4.1, I expect both the "flags" field and the EEPROM field to be
replaced by the "local" flag in "/etc/ttytab".