Array processors for Suns

Robert Fenske Jr fenske at dfsun1.electro.swri.edu
Sat Apr 7 04:46:12 AEST 1990

In article <6416 at brazos.Rice.edu> sch at eeserv.ee.umanitoba.ca (R+C Schneider) writes:

>I'm looking for an array processor or other fast floating point hardware
>for a SUN 4/260.  (VME bus)  The primary application is for simulating
>neural networks.  Any pointers to vendors, as well as experiences (both
>positive and negative) would be appreciated.  Please email and I'll
>summarize.

(Couldn't e-mail to you.)

We have been using the QuickCard from CSP Inc. (40 Linnell Circle,
Billerica, Mass. 01821 [don't have any phone #]), costing about $10K.  It
has served quite well.  It is quite fast and easy to use under SunOS.  The
software version we have supports SunOS, Motorola SYSV68, and a couple of
other UNIXes.  I also modified the software provided by CSPI to drive the
QuickCard in a VMEbus embedded system we developed.  It is well suited to
performing FFT's, correlations, convolutions, trig and transcendental ops,
and general vector arithmetic.  Except for one slight firmware problem
between releases, we have had a good experience with it.  We have used it
only in a Sun 3/260, not a 4/260, and our embedded system.

Robert Fenske, Jr.                      Sw     | The Taming the C*sm*s series:
Electromagnetics Division              /R---\  |
Southwest Research Institute          | I    | | "The Martian canals were the
dfsun1.electro.swri.edu 129.162.160.4  \----/  |  Martians' last ditch effort."