watchdog reset revisited

Robert G. Byrnes byrnes at ee.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 6 03:03:45 AEST 1990

The watchdog reset problem that I asked about in an earlier posting
(mid-March) turned out to be caused by a SunOS 4.0.3 kernel bug (Sun bug #
1024746, to be exact).  The bug can cause Suns with the console attached
to one of the serial I/O ports to crash with a watchdog reset immediately
after detecting zs0 (the serial I/O ports) during autoconf while booting.

The serial I/O patch tape that I received from Sun contains fixes for a
bunch of other problems as well.  The README file says the following:

> serial I/O patch tape
>
> This tape contains all the changes to the serial drivers and
> streams code since SunOS 4.0.3 FCS.  The bugs fixed with this
> patch are:
>
> 1020129       ALM-2 hangs system when encountering Framing Errors
> 1022156       ALM-2 parallel printer output purged by close
> 1022741       ALM-1 error codes incompletely reported
> 1024746       system with serial console watchdog resets
> 1025254       UUCICO can wedge port and eventually system
> 1025622       Panic Bus Error in streams close code
> 1032598       streams buffer allocation problems
> 1032651       Panic Bus Error Reg 80 in streams open code
>
> Kernel object files are included for Sun-2, Sun-3, Sun-3X, and Sun-4
> architectures.  Note that the Sun-2 does not support the ALM-2, therefore
> no mcp driver files are provided.

I wonder what other problems are lurking out there ... :-)

     Bob Byrnes
     211 Phillips Hall
     School of Electrical Engineering
     Cornell University